Sunday, December 7, 2008

Arugula



It's one of the best superfoods around. Not only is is packed full of protein, one cup contains almost half the FDA (which in my opinion is way too low) of vitamin K. Vitamin K is essential for clotting and developing strong bones. The really important thing about arugula is its anti cancer properties. When you chew this plant, the glucosinolates mix with an enzyme in saliva called myrosinate. The mixture turns into a compound called isothicoyanantes. Isothiocynantes have been shown to have anitcancer properties that neutralize carcinogens and reduce their poisonous effect.

Arugula also helps protect us from hormone disruptors xenohormones (from plastic and pesticides). So important it this toxic world. The funny thing is, lately I can't find arugula that isn't packaged in plastic containers. I hate that, but it's what's available.

There is so much more to be said for arugula. It's great raw or cooked. You can always tell a person who eats too much sugar, because they think arugula is way too bitter. I know for myself it's true. When arugula starts to taste bitter instead of just yummy, I know I'm overdoing it on the sugar front.

No comments: